Your greatness is not what you have, it's what you give.

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Annual Orchid Show at New York Botanical Gardens

Yesterday was a great day to go to The Bronx for the annual orchid show at the New York Botanical Gardens. After a delicious lunch on Arthur Avenue, known for some of the best Italian food around New York, DH, DS, and I headed over to the gardens to oooooo and aaaahhhh at some of our favorite flowers. The entrance belies the beauty that waits ahead.
A short walk away from the entrance is the Enid Haupt Conservatory, a busy place yesterday.
The excitement was building in my head as we neared the entrance.
And we were immediately greeted with a spectacular display made to look like the stage of a famous Broadway theater. The "drapes" were made using garden hoses.
Everywhere I turned I was greeted with orchids.
Just go ahead and enjoy. I'll catch up with you later.....


Orchids overhead everywhere!











All these Cattleya corsage orchids filled the air with a wonderful perfume that immediately brought me back to my childhood Easter celebrations when my Dad would buy corsages for my Mom, sister, and me to wear to church.
We walked through all the permanent garden displays that made you feel like you were in a tropical rain forest or.....
resting by a placid pond or...
Looking for exoctic species under the canopy.
If you didn't look up to discover the ceiling and fans you wouldn't know you were in The Bronx.
One of my favorite spots is in the desert landscape.
Even those prickly little devils show off their beautiful side.
But don't get too close.
I was perfectly giddy after my walk through all those blossoms.
The orchid show runs now through April 25th, 2011. If you are in the metropolitan New York area be sure to take a side trip to visit some of the most beautiful displays you will ever see.
It well worth the trip.

2 comments:

Elise said...

So beautiful and I love the garden as well! Will see if we can get down there before the orchid show finishes. Nice to see such lovely flowers on such a snowy and slippery day!

Karin said...

Completely beautiful...including the people in the last picture!!
Thank you for the tour...I'll see if I can entice anyone to go see that with me.