Your greatness is not what you have, it's what you give.

Tuesday, June 6, 2017

It finally happened!

Well, it's finally happened! After almost 12 years of working with The Chicks with Sticks I met someone who received a gift of ours. I was getting into my car (which has the Chicks with Sticks sign on the door) in the Glenmont Shopping Center and a woman called across to me, "Hey! I know you!" After seeing the confused look in my eyes she explained that a few years ago her children were recipients of one of our donations to The Bus Stop Club, an organization which gives support and provides activities to siblings of chronically ill children. Her oldest child has autism so her two younger children participated in the club at a time when we Chicks donated hand made stuffed animals and trendy items for teens. I thanked her for letting me know we made a difference in their lives. That's why we do this after all!
 And so now we continue to make items for our HATAS donation this fall.
Elaine has reached the midpoint on her baby blanket and will now start the decrease portion. We laughed at the size of the ball of yarn beside her. It doesn't even look like she made a dent in the quantity! She thinks there is enough to make 3 more afghans!
 Liz spent a few minutes untangling her yarn from 2 different projects. She regrets having put them both in the same bag, exclaiming she zigged when she should have zagged.
 Beth finished the little set for her grandson. It's so cute!!! I love the elephants.
And she finished the socks she's been working on for the last few weeks. She used a size 6 needle and worsted weight yarn so they are thick and dense, the best for warding off the cold. And the yarn is superwash so they can go in the machine and dryer.
Margaret and Dorah both started a headband and hat, respectively.
Dorah started over with the hat she worked on last week. This time her baby cables are looking perfect.
And Margaret's Christmas Headband is flying off her needles.
Margaret finished her slouchy hat. It's so soft and fits the head perfectly. 
Very styling!
As is Maureen's finished hat. She wove in the ends just in time for a photo. It's a free pattern on Ravelry.
I made an adult hat and had too much yarn left over to throw away but not enough for another adult size so... baby hat it is!
We had to knit indoors this week because it rained AGAIN! Dorah is building an ark and I think I'm growing gills and webbed fingers! I'm hoping to see sunshine soon though. I wonder if I'll recognize what it is...

1 comment:

Lulu said...

wow beautiful projects..love the elephants also, cant knit it though..but i knit plain hats and thats ok..love all the projects you all do..