Your greatness is not what you have, it's what you give.

Sunday, February 15, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRIGHT EYES!

Fifty five years ago I became a big sister (or "volunteer parent" as my mother used to call me) to my baby sister, Jamie-Robin. She was the most beautiful baby I had ever seen. She had such stunning deep blue eyes that they were almost violet. She turned heads wherever we went. My very first memory is of the ride home from the hospital, my new baby sister nestled warmly into my mother's arms. She was wearing a robin's egg blue layette set that my mother knitted specifically for this occasion. Her soft cheeks were so warm and rosy. All I could say was "Oh Mommy, she's soooo beautiful!" Mom now admits that's about the same time she had her postpartum cry. I was thrilled to have a baby sister and proud to say the least.

We had our usual cat fights but remained always best friends. Since we moved from Connecticut where she lives, I don't get to see her daily, like when we lived five miles away, but we're still close.


Last September Jamie was diagnosed with uterine cancer, for which she had surgery and is now expected to be fine. I pray for her every night and wish all the best for my "Bright Eyes".


I love you Jamie and God bless you! Happy Birthday!

No comments: