Your greatness is not what you have, it's what you give.

Sunday, March 27, 2016

RIP Kathleen Corrigan



Ten years ago my phone rang and a timid voice asked, "Can I join your knitting group?" Kathleen went on to say that she had lost her husband not too long ago and she was tired of sitting around feeling sorry for herself, that it was time to get on with life and do something for someone else. My decision to take a chance on saying yes to an absolute stranger was the best decision I could have made. Kathleen was not only an asset to The Chicks with Sticks, she was a shining example of who I want to be when I grow up, which I told her many times.

Kathleen was always the first to show up on Tuesday afternoons and always arrived with a big smile and a bag filled with sweaters, hats, or mittens. She was a prolific knitter and could out knit any one of us on any given day. She used to joke that her family didn't need any more knitted items and our group opened up a whole new world of people for whom she could knit. If a new technique or pattern came to our attention, Kathleen was the first in line to want to learn it and mastered some pretty complicated stitches in short order. Her willingness to try something new was contagious and her optimism set an example for us all. While it might have taken us weeks to finish a baby sweater, Kathleen would open "Show and Tell" with a whole matching set for a newborn or toddler.

And Kathleen was humble. When the time came for us to make a delivery, I had to coax her to join us. I was so happy on the occasions that she did join in so she could experience the warmth and gratitude we felt when we gave away those things over which we toiled.

I am going to miss Kathleen more than I can say but I know the angels are going to have a fabulous knitter to show them the ropes or should I say yarns? I wish the people who received her hand knits could have known the great lady who made them. I know I for one am so very grateful I said yes the day she called.


No comments: