Your greatness is not what you have, it's what you give.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

A Fisherman Afghan Finished and Getting to Know Judy

Barbara and Liz and the rest of us Chicks are just flabberghasted by the beauty of Kathleen's Irish Fisherman Afghan. This is the afghan she has been making since the 1970's for wedding gifts, going off to college gifts, new home gifts, etc. She has made so many of these gorgeous afghans that she has the pattern memorized.


But Kathleen is telling us she is done making this afghan. She doesn't want to make it anymore. But again I repeat, she has the pattern memorized! Can you believe that?!

She does beautiful work and even the fringe is beautiful! What a lucky couple who will be receiving this gift!

Kathleen's next project is this cute baby sweater from http://www.knittingonthenet.com/
She has already knitted a good portion of the top in this top down cardigan and has the sleeve stitches on holders.

Liz took a few minutes to check out my new knitting book which has the cutest leaf and lace patterned sweaters with matching hats and blankets.
Karin stopped by for a quick visit while recovering from her surgery. She looked great. She and Barbara were discussing the golf club covers Barbara made.

The big driver cover is done with it's fuzzy head.
Karen finished another crocheted baby blanket and has to work in all the ends.
This crochet stitch almost looks knitted.
I finished a long sleeved sweater version of my daughter's baby shrug pattern which is for sale on Ravelry. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/garter-ridge-baby-shrug
I searched through my stash and found these cute bunny buttons which I bought way back in the 1980's. I'm sure glad I finally found a good use for them.
Maureen finished the last panel of the sailboat afghan and is ready to assemble the panels. I started a baby sweater and hat set to give to Maureen for a friend of hers to raffle for charity. The pattern is from the aforementioned book Liz was checking out.
Judy is in the spotlight this week. She has a real flair for pairing yarns and patterns beautifully together.
Interviewer: At what age did you learn to knit?
Judy: I was about 24.
Interviewer: Who taught you to knit?
Judy: I taught myself and I think it shows.
Interviewer: What was the first item you completed and for whom did you make it?
Judy: I knitted a sweater for my boyfriend who later became my husband.
Interviewer: What was your favorite item knitted?
Judy: I made a little white baby sweater with rose bud trim and made 6 or 7 more for gifts.
Interviewer: What took you the longest to knit?
Judy: I made myself a heavily cabled sweater which took way too long to knit and was way too big when it was finished.
Interviewer: What do you like to knit now?
Judy: Sweaters
Interviewer: What is your favorite fiber to knit?
Judy: I like worsted weight wool.
Interviewer: Where is your favorite place to knit?
Judy: I like to knit while watching sports on TV or in my favorite chair in the living room late in the afternoon as the sun sets.
It's raining and damp today so I think I might throw on one of my warm afghans and cuddle up with my knitting. Keep those needles clicking!

2 comments:

bmash said...

Golf club covers bring back memories! I made them for my father when I was in college. He thought they were too fancy to use!

Unknown said...

That afghan at the top of this page is beautiful! Are you sharing this pattern? Where can I find a link? Thank you.