Your greatness is not what you have, it's what you give.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

It's cold here in the Capital District of NY

This is the time of year I love the best. My favorite days are the brisk, cold and sunny days of January when the sky is a glorious blue and the air would freeze a tear drop.
It's my favorite time to take a walk, as long as I am prepared. And last Friday I was as prepared as one can get. There wasn't a part of me that wasn't toasty warm. The only problem I encountered was every time I exhaled my glasses would fog up. But I had an invigorating walk! 
I started a Moebius scarf last week. It's the first time I've made one and the cast on is a curious technique.
There were over 200 stitches on the needle and it seemed like an endless, boring knit.
So I think I probably won't make another but this turned out nicely. Who knows? Maybe there will be another in the future.
This cowl took only a few hours to knit. The bulky weight yarn and fat needles made for quick work.
These mittens will go with the hat and scarf from a couple of weeks back.
My sister's birthday is coming up in February and I found this Baby Alpaca Grande yarn in my stash and quickly made the Eyelet Cowl from Plymouth Yarn.
This too took only 3 hours or so to whip up. That's good to know when you need a gift in a hurry.
Another quick knit with bulky yarn and fat needles is Totally Biased. I used the four row version for this neck warmer.
My son celebrated his birthday recently and here is the hat I made for him. There is a matching reversible stripes scarf still on the needles that I am trying to hurry up and finish for him. I would love to show you what I made for my daughter for her birthday the week before but she reads this and I don't want to spoil the surprise for her. As soon as I give it to her I'll post pics for you to see.
I happened to browse through YouTube the other day and noticed a video tutorial for the crocodile stitch in crochet. I haven't crocheted in a long time but even so this was very easy to make.
I made it 12 scallops wide by 5 scallops high and it automatically makes buttonholes. After hunting through my Nana's button box I found the perfect buttons. Now it can be worn on the neck or as a headband. The yarn is Noro Silk Garden. This pattern works best with a long color changing yarn. Short color bursts are too busy for the scallops to show up best.
Kathleen made another pair of slipper socks...
And now she is making a scarf to go with last week's hat.
Barbara finished this cheery blue hat this week.
And here are the fingerless mitts she made to match last week's hat.
Now she is making this afghan using a solid brown and a tweedy brown yarn together. I thought I had a photo but I accidentally deleted it. Oh well, you'll see it in a few weeks.
Maureen blocked the Wingspan. It looked very nice. It's amazing what a good blocking will do to improve the garment.
Those slipper socks that Maureen was working on last week are finished. Now her daughter's friend will have warm toes!
Beth worked on another cloche hat. She bought a stylish button from Trumpet Hill Yarn Shop.
And by the end of the evening she had a finished hat!
My Chicks are so productive! Thank you ladies for all your hard work.

No comments: