Your greatness is not what you have, it's what you give.

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

More stuffies for the Police

For those readers who might have missed it, we Chicks are making stuffed toys, also known as Amigurumi, to give to the Albany Police Department for officers to distribute to children who might be involved in a traumatic situation. Janna and Barbara K. are holding just a few of the over 40, so far, that we have knitted or crocheted.
 Some are animals and some are people, as is the case with Debbie's doll.
 Her Little Red Riding Hood turned out to be an adorable doll, complete with basket, surrounded by hedgehogs, teddy bear, owl, and cat.
 Another dolly with two more hedgehog friends joined the collection.
 As did two more cheerful teddies, another owl and an elephant.
 Maureen was busy making hats. This 1898 hat will be real cozy.
 And her spiral hat came with a matching cowl.
 Maureen was inspired by Dorah to make a Helix hat with pretty pinks and gray.
 And Dorah's hat went into inventory too.
 Santa (my hubby really) heard my wishes and brought me a new toy for Christmas! I am now the proud owner of an Ashford Rigid Heddle Loom. I had been watching Youtube video tutorials for quite a while now so my first lesson went quite smoothly.
 I cranked out a scarf in two days as opposed to knitting one in two weeks OR MORE! This was my first try and while the edges are a bit wonky (hey! it's only my first try), I am proud to say it is a wearable work of art. I have yet to decide how to finish off the fringe.
 My fourth try at weaving shows much improvement. This cowl needs a couple of buttons to adorn the edges but it's officially finished, again, except for the fringe.
I think I'm going to like weaving as much as I like knitting and it certainly will be a lot quicker. Now I have to dig through my stash to find yarn which will hold up under the stress of warping. Not all knitting yarns will withstand the stretch on the loom...ask me how I know! As I always say, mistakes are lessons learned. Some harder than others!

No comments: