Your greatness is not what you have, it's what you give.

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Holidays and knitting

Christmas time is for making memories and my grandson and I made a good one. I showed him a Youtube video of a woman shaping loaves of Challah bread and after watching it once he made perfect braids of bread. Can you tell he's proud of himself?
 His younger brother was thrilled that he received new clothes for Christmas.
Whew! I'm glad that was a success! 
 And I received some beautiful baby alpaca yarns straight from Peru, thanks to the generosity of my son and his partner from their recent vacation to Machu Picchu. Now what shall I knit? I need to pat it and cuddle it for a while to know what it wants to be.
 Two Saturdays before Christmas Eve I visited Karin's studio and fell head over heels for this gorgeous deep red silk/merino blend yarn and knew immediately that it HAD to become 
Childhood Memories. I wanted to wear it to a Christmas Eve party so that meant I had to knit it and block it in two weeks time. I started it on Sunday, December 11 and worked like a crazy lady every day. I kept saying to myself, "I'll never get this done." But by the morning of the 24th I had bound off my last stitch and dunked it for a bath. With the fireplace going, two fans blowing, and 212 T-pins, I did get it done and was able to wear it to the party! I love it and I'm so happy I made it.
 The afternoon Chicks had conflicts today so it was the evening group only. Beth showed us her Hitchhiker scarf she made with Periwinkle Sheep yarn. It's hard to tell here but it's a tonal blend of browns and beige which make it a warm and cozy wrap.
 And that's all that was left of the yarn when she finished!
 Beth's next project is a pair of these socks.
 And more Periwinkle Sheep yarn. That's a gorgeous blue!
 Maureen started this shawl tonight and felt she needed a cheery color to pick her spirits up on this gloomy weather day we've been experiencing.
 I'd say this is cheery!
 Carole finished her hat and cowl, all blocked and ready to wear.
Now she's ready to cast on for this pretty cabled hat.
This yarn is very soft and will show nice stitch definition too.
One more row and then the bind off row and I'll will finish the Birthday Cowl
I'm using Paton's Classic Wool Tweed yarn.
While we were on a break for Christmas I finished a pair of fingerless mitts and...
a Handbrake cowl. The mitts were made with DK weight yarn and the cowl was worsted weight.
I love these smaller projects. They work up quickly and they are satisfying to make. I think I'll go  stash diving for some more worsted weight yarns to make some more quick cowls. 

No comments: