Your greatness is not what you have, it's what you give.

Tuesday, October 5, 2021

There's a new Chick in the flock!

My neighbor, (Jan Abrams on the lower right) wanted to learn how to knit the 1898 hat so I asked if any other Chicks wanted to learn and we had enough to do a KAL. While she was here, I invited Jan to join us permanently and she said YES! She learned how to knit a few years ago and now she'll be able to hone her skills while she has a good time laughing with us. Welcome to the flock Jan!
She dove right in and started the hat with a provisional cast on which will later be grafted to the other end to create the hat band from which stitches will be picked up to knit the crown. It's a great pattern for a warm hat which requires careful row counting to make your experience a positive one while knitting.
Everyone chose their favorite yarn from the pile or brought some from home.
And we got right to work!
Margaret used a bright, cheerful red worsted weight yarn. Since she's made a few before, she didn't hold back. She was off and running after the cast on.
Dorah sat beside me for positive reinforcement and she did a great job. The most confusing part of the pattern is making sure you remember to advance your counter or make a tic mark on your notes.
Barbara B. has her little clicker counter on her finger where she can't miss it.
Barbara K. made smooth progress with her hat. Love the nails Barbara!
Janna has the same clicker. It is a little electronic digital ring so you can't forget to advance it. Well, YOU CAN'T but I bet I CAN! ;) Her hat will be a pretty lilac color.
Maureen chose a pretty heather sage green yarn for her hat. By next week, if everyone has the time to knit, we should be able to attach the ends and then cast on for the crown.
I've knitted a whole bunch of these hats but I still don't have the pattern memorized. I don't trust my memory to have the correct row count so I rely on my trusty row counter.
Margaret couldn't make it last week so she brought her FO's today and they'll be saved for the next rotation of donations. The little face looking back at you is the top of a child's hat. So cute! And there are three 1898 hats in the collection!

 It looks like our outside knitting days are over for the season. I'm actually looking forward to the cooler temps because it means I get to wear my knits! I might even have a couple of new ones for the collection this year. Just a few more inches to knit on one of my scarves and I'll get to show you. In the meantime, keep those needles clicking!

No comments: