Your greatness is not what you have, it's what you give.

Tuesday, August 6, 2019

The Chicks have a new hatchling!

We have a new Chick! Barbara Bradford has been a Capital District resident for two years and we're so glad she has joined forces with us. Here she is casting on for a baby hat. We look forward to seeing her put her skills to good use with us. She is an afternoon knitter but might be visiting the evening group on occasion. Welcome to the flock Barbara! 
 Liz is working with a lovely spring green to make a basket weave patterned scarf. It even matches her shirt.
 Debbie hit a snag last week but between the two of us, she got back on track with her festive colored socks. I always say it's ok to make mistakes. That's how you learn and besides, there are no knitting police!
 Cinzia's baby sweatshirt is almost finished. Just a few more rows and ribbing and it will be ready for the inventory.
 Margaret picked up the stitches for her afterthought heel and is well on her way to finishing her first pair of TAAT magic loop socks. I'm so proud of my Chicks to be willing to learn new techniques.
 Carole's lime green socks are sized for a narrow youth foot. The heel stitches are on hold on the other side. She should be picking up stitches for the heels soon.
 This comes under the category of "It's ok to make mistakes". I apparently didn't make myself clear when I described to Dorah how to do the heels on her afterthought heel socks. She began knitting a beautiful heel flap. Unfortunately, this technique does not require one. But it took about 5 minutes to frog back to the contrasting colored yarn and knit in the round again. The funny thing is that we all sat around the table watching her without realizing what was happening. No big deal! It was an easy fix.
 Maureen's socks look nice with the pink yarn holding the heel stitches. Too bad it has to go. I love the colors in this yarn!
 I'm working on the heels of my men's socks. I have a few more stitches to decrease and then it will be time to kitchener the heels closed.
 Every night before I go to sleep I check out Youtube to see if there's anything interesting to watch. Last week I came across a video tutorial for what is called a Shadow Wrap Short Row Heel. I think it makes an even nicer heel than the afterthought heel. There are NO GAPS where the angle of the heel turns like on a traditionally knitted heel flap heel. The sock on the right shows the cuff unfolded and the heel flattened. The cuff folds down so the baby can't kick his socks off. And notice how the heel and the toe, when flat, look the same.
 My munchkins are visiting this week. They had arts and crafts night on the deck while we Chicks knitted inside. 
Oh! And my 12 year old grandson is now officially taller than me! He's so proud! Although since I'm only 5'3" ish, it isn't all that hard to beat me at this young age, but don't tell him. ;) Our family joke is if you're taller than your grandmother by the time you're 12, then you're officially Italian. LOL! And yes, my grandmother said I could eat spaghetti off the top of her head when I was 12 so it's only fair for the next generation. Get my bowl ready to balance on my head.
I'm going to go enjoy my daughter and grands while I can. Knitting can wait until next week.
In the meantime, you keep your needles clicking!

No comments: