Your greatness is not what you have, it's what you give.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Spring is here but still too cold to knit outside

I opened all the windows today to make it seem as though we were knitting on the deck today but then it got so chilly I had to close them again. I keep hearing that spring is coming but aside from all the rain last week, I don't see evidence of it. I just know we're going to jump into hot summer weather with two feet!

Debbie brought us her finished cardigan and matching hat and one sock. She had the second one on needles this afternoon so it will be done soon. The yarn is Martha Stewart acrylic blend and is very soft and machine washable. We talked about doing a group KAL (that's knit-a-long for those who don't know) to learn how to knit two socks at once on magic loop from the toe up using Judy's magic cast on and an afterthought heel (all the videos I could find have you knit the waste yarn across the heel stitches and then slip all those stitches back to the left needle. Instead, I just purl back across those waste yarn stitches and then use my working yarn to continue the sock. It makes it much easier to see the two rows of stitches to pick up later to make the heel). It's the only way I make socks since I learned the technique and I don't need a pattern either. I'm going to line up the Youtube tutorials for the Chicks so they can acquaint themselves with the techniques before we go live.
 Liz checked out her pattern for the baby sweater she was working on because the yarn is running out quickly and she feared there wouldn't be enough left to finish the bodice of the sweater. This is where gauge is so important. She thought the sweater looked bigger than it was supposed to be and since we don't have anymore of that yarn Plan B must go into effect...changing the cardigan into a shrug.
 Here is her progress so far. The sleeves are done and the skirt of the sweater has been started.
 Janna's Dexter vest looks like it's done but the last few inches to be knitted are hiding in the back. I'm sure it will be finished by next week.
 I ran out of portable small projects to take along so I started a pair of baby socks. Magic loop, two at a time, toe up as I said before. A plain vanilla recipe with fancy self patterning yarn does the trick!
 During the week I finished my Baby Sophisticate sweater and added a matching hat.
 And just by luck I had only 4 buttons left to complete the project!
I had a meeting tonight so the evening Chicks had a night off but they will be back to work next week. Now I'm off to knit and Netflix. I'm sure I can find a good British murder mystery show I haven't watched yet!

No comments: