Your greatness is not what you have, it's what you give.

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Hats and cowls galore!

Starting our show and tell this week will be a Brioche cowl with Latvian braid edges made by Cinzia. She used an Aran weight yarn with size 7 or 8 needles, I can't remember for sure. The yarn is Cascade Eco Wool which knitted up nicely for this project.
She also finished a beanie hat with a 100% Baby Alpaca yarn from Blue Sky Fibers called Melange. It is so soft and warm, like an angel spun it.
 
Dorah's Railroad Tracks hat is beautifully finished. That twisted rib shows the stitch definition so nicely.
I completed a Throwback Pixie hat with yarn from Filatura di Crosa Zara. Last winter I made a whole bunch of these because they were like Lay's Potato Chips, you can't have just one! I might have to cast on for a few more after I finish my current WIP's.
Barbara B. did a test knit for these mittens and had enough yarn left to make a matching hat. Such a pretty pink!
Her only wool project this week was this bulky knit cap. Her husband is violently allergic to wool so she has to knit with synthetic yarns. I don't know how she managed to sneak this one into the mix but I'm sure glad she did!
Her next two projects were kits which included these cute little heads. The ball of yarn includes all the different yarns in one continuous ball.
I love the comical little faces!
Barbara B. finished her Brioche cowl too. She had a few blips in the learning curve but we like to call them "Design Elements" and Look! A whole new design! Like it was meant to be!
I used Cascade Yarns Elysian to make the Treppenviertel Cowl. It was an easy pattern with just enough going on every fourth row to keep my interest peaked.
I had so much fun making it, I immediately cast on for another with Berroco Ultra Alpaca Fine on a size 2.5 needle. And then, because my hand cramps when I knit for too long with such a skinny needle...
I cast on for another Treppenviertel with a DK weight yarn and size 7 needles with the same Zara yarn that Cinzia used in her hat.
Janna is at the beginning rows of her Chevron cowl. I didn't get the name of the yarn.
Barbara K. is flying through her Mistake Stitch Scarf. This easy pattern makes a nice warm thermal barrier against the cold.
Dorah tried her hand at Helix knitting and is doing a great job with a great color combination. And look at her beautiful twisted ribbing. It's just like 1X1 ribbing but you knit the knit stitches through the back loop which lifts it up proud and defined.
Barbara B. cast on with yarn that was left from the bulky hat and made a warm ear band for those who don't want to wear a whole hat.
And Maureen just started the flat knitting portion of her Throwback Pixie hat. When she first read the pattern she had the same reaction I did...something sounds wrong here. But I was told by the designer to trust the instructions and just do what they say.
Sometimes I have a hard time picturing what the pattern should look like and my brain gets ahead of my hands. When I just took the leap it all worked out fine. In this case, it was the right thing to do!
Keep those needles clicking and I'll see you next week!

No comments: