Your greatness is not what you have, it's what you give.

Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Some donation knitting, some Christmas knitting

Janna's handiwork starts off this week's show and tell. She knitted a hat for her son with the same yarn she used to make his first baby blanket 16 years ago. The body of the blanket was the soft yellow in the stripe and the goldenrod was the crocheted edging. How sweet that he'll have his baby blanket hat to wear as a teenager.
 
 Barbara finished a pretty purple hat with 2X2 ribbed edge for our inventory. She used a soft, washable acrylic yarn.
 Margaret finished a two year project, a warm wrap for her daughter.
 The nice repeat pattern forms pleats all by itself.
 Last Saturday I attended the open house yarn sale at Periwinkle Sheep where I bought this lovely tonal, DK weight, merino yarn in the colorway 11 Ways to Dry a Chili Pepper. It's going to become the Chevron Cowl, an easy to memorize two row pattern, knit in the round.
 Elaine is knitting a gift for her granddaughter for Christmas, a llama patterned hat. When it was time to knit the second set of checkerboard rows, she came to the second set of blocks and it looked like the colors were out of order. There were four white stitches in a row where it seemed as though there were supposed to be two gray and two white. She and I looked it over for about 15 minutes when Elaine had just about decided to frog the row and start over when it occurred to me that knitting in the round is actually a spiral not individual rows which meant that if she continued to knit alternating the gray and white stitches, it would all even out by the end of the round. And thankfully, it looked correct!
 Barbara and Carole wanted to learn how to knit brioche stitch with a braided edge so we started tonight. It's going to take at least four rows before we actually see the braided edge.
 And once the edge is completed, the brioche stitches will begin. I can't wait to see it take shape.
 You can see Maureen's baby hat with the ear flaps taking shape. It looks like a mini version of the 1898 hat we like to knit.
 Dorah has finished the cuff of her hat and next week she'll start the crown portion.
 Margaret finished the band of her 1898 hat and she has to graft the edges together. Then she'll pick up stitches from the edge for the crown of the hat.
Joules is going home this weekend so I won't have my cuddle buddy to sit with me when I knit. Or follow me and wait outside the bathroom door when I shower. Or sit on the bathroom vanity to watch me put on my makeup. Or sit at my feet at 9:30 EVERY NIGHT, staring into my face until I walk her to her food bowl and give her a treat. I've been trying to get extra cuddles because once she goes home she forgets who I am. When I visit her at her house she treats me like chopped chicken liver! LOL! 
It's been a wonderful nine months of having Joules all to myself but her family misses her and now that their renovations are complete, they want her back. I'm really going to miss her sweet little face and soft, warm fur. I'll try not to cry...too hard.

No comments: