Your greatness is not what you have, it's what you give.

Tuesday, August 15, 2023

My cheeks hurt from laughing so much

Our topics of conversation today turned hilarious but unfortunately cannot be repeated delicately enough to tell you about them. Let's just say some of the conveniences that benefit our children would have made our lives so much easier if only they had been invented 40 years ago! Barbara B. really got us rolling with laughter when she said she couldn't wait to read the blog today to see how I was going to word it. I promise not to throw anyone under the bus but my face still hurts from laughing! Ahhh! It's nice to have friends to share a hearty laugh!
This week's episode starts with some FO's. Margaret did not run out of yarn on the hat she was knitting last week. She was down to a very small ball of yarn and wondered if it would make it to the end. Even if it didn't, there's always Plan B where you bind off early and leave a hole for the pony tail to fit through.
Dorah went stash diving and found this lovely hand dyed yarn that is so soft! It didn't have a label so we don't have the fiber content but it's like a silky cloud!
Barbara K. is hooked! We told her she would enjoy Helix Hat knitting and she agreed with the first of her Helix knitting using Cascade 220 leftovers. A few pictures down you'll see the second one she has already started.
Dorah blocked her Changing Staircases Shawl and it's ready for the inventory. It's a lovely shawl and she said an easy pattern to knit while watching TV or having a conversation.
I finished the Carol's Clever Little Shawl for myself in time to get some wear out of it over my summer sundresses. It took me about 8 days to complete and I love the tencel/wool fiber content for the way it drapes gracefully over my shoulders.
Currently, I'm working on two projects simultaneously. This is the 1898 Hat which I dropped the needle size down to a 6 to make it a bit smaller. The stitches become denser as a result so it will be totally windproof!
 
The second project is called Waldkind which translates to Kid of the Forest. It was a paid pattern on Ravelry and starts out in a very unconventional way. The pattern instructions have you pull off a length of yarn to completely knit the leaf from a provisional cast on and then the stitches are picked up to continue knitting the I-cord and scarf or shawl if you prefer. It ends with another I-cord and leaf at the opposite point. I estimated how much yarn to start with and ran out about 3/4 of the way through the leaf. Luckily, the yarn is alpaca and I could spit splice the other ball of yarn to finish the leaf.
Barbara B. is working on the Elis cowl which is a free pattern on Ravelry. The lace stitch is called Indian Cross stitch and will need to be blocked to reveal the beauty of the pattern. The yarn is such a pretty color and very soft to the touch.
Maureen added some length to her Close To You Shawl but needed to work on...
the baby gift she's making for a friend. 
She has one sleeve done, one to go on the Olive You Baby Sweater.
Margaret started another Helix Hat as well. It's a great pattern for stash busting those small balls of leftover yarns that are too much to just toss away.
And as promised, here is Barbara K's next Helix in the works already. 
Dorah couldn't find the name of the pattern for this shawl she started but it is knitted straight along one edge and increased on the other until you reach half of the ball of yarn used up and then the side is decreased down to the other point. She is using a Poems yarn that has a gradient effect.
The name of the pattern Jan is knitting made me LOL! It's called Sleeping with the Zucchini! It is an asymmetrical triangle with a lace border so it's easy but will hold the interest of the knitter making it.
My husband came home from serving his duties as a Chamber of Commerce Ambassador for the Capital District and bought dinner from the ribbon cutting celebration. The restaurant serves authentic Lebanese food and I can't wait to dig in. I'll let you know how it is next week but just the aromas tell me I'm going to love it.
Have a great week and keep those needles clicking!

No comments: