Your greatness is not what you have, it's what you give.

Tuesday, August 1, 2023

A good day for deck knitting

We were blessed with 75 degrees and a cooling breeze for our afternoon on the deck. Conversations included vacations with grandbabies and where to eat at the beach. Cape Cod and Bethany Beach in Delaware are two locations some of the ladies will be enjoying with family. 
Barbara B. completed the Bern Beanie the hat version of the mittens Bernie Sanders wore at the inauguration, using Lion Brand Heartland acrylic yarn. It is a very nice quality acrylic which has the look of alpaca with a slight halo and has lovely colors available.
I wrote up the pattern for the cowl from last week and as promised, here is the hat version. The pattern is currently being test knitted so some of the kinks can be worked out. Eventually, it will be available on Ravelry, no charge. The hat is the same cast on as the cowl but you just knit it to about 7 inches and then begin a stockinette stitch for the decreasing portion of the crown. I made this hat to be a slouchy style but it can be knitted shorter for a beanie style.
Dorah completed her Easy Scarf which is rich with autumn colors.
And is now making strides on her Changing Staircases shawl. She went stash diving to use up some of her sock yarns but doesn't recollect having bought this one. The colors are very American Southwest.
Margaret uses her Tuesday afternoons to catch up on her knitting because she is busy all week. Her basket weave hat is her own design.
Carole started test knitting my "In Threes Cowl" design I mentioned above and she's been a big help in clarifying some of the directions. I felt so relieved when she said she is enjoying making it!
Barbara B. just started a sweet little hat called Meta's Bonnet to go with...
A cute little cardigan that is knitted top down, no sewing seams!
Maureen's Close to You Shawl is getting longer too. It's a freebie on Ravelry.
Shhh! Don't tell anybody but I'm knitting a little shoulder shawl for myself called Carol's Clever Little Shawl. I liked the one I made for donation and have been looking for just a little something to cover my shoulders when I wear my summer sundresses. This fit the bill perfectly. I searched all over for a black yarn with a slight sheen and couldn't find anything in my local yarn shops. I try to support my local stores as much as possible but had no luck until I noticed a sale at WEBS in Northhampton, Massachusetts. This is a tencel and merino blend yarn with a smooth ply, totally what I was looking for!
And have you heard the saying that you knit black yarn only for people you like? Well, I must really like myself a LOT! This is a bit of a challenge but I have really good lighting and a white pillowcase on my lap to help reflect more light while I work on it. But I better get busy and finish it before summer is over! Have fun, until next week, keep those needles clicking!
 

No comments: