Your greatness is not what you have, it's what you give.

Tuesday, January 29, 2019

It's snowing....again!

As I look out my window I'm thinking it's a good thing I cancelled knitting for tonight because it started snowing while the afternoon knitters were still here. Reports say driving will be dicey for commuters heading home so I don't want my Chicks to drive in dangerous weather.
My afternoon Chicks were productive this week. Elaine brought a collection of finished hats for the inventory, starting off with a child's striped hat...
a lovely mint green slouchy hat...
a nice warm cocoa colored man's hat...or woman's...
and two more children's hats.
Debbie brought us the first sweater she tried knitting for a baby who is now three years old. So some lucky recipient of our donations will now benefit from her hard work.
And it's actually a complete ensemble! There are pants, booties, and a hat to go with the cardigan. Good work Debbie!
Elaine is on a roll with her hats. She immediately cast on for another in a pretty heather green worsted weight wool.
Cinzia worked at redesigning a pattern which called for fingering weight yarn by converting the measurements for bulky weight yarn. The Flying Triangles Cowl was supposed to be 60 inches in circumference but in bulky weight yarn it would have been huge and weighed a ton! It looks great with her adaptations.
Janna's Chevron cowl is growing, slowly but surely. The pattern perfectly highlights the color changes in her yarn.
Debbie picked up where she left off on her 1898 hat.
My third Treppenviertel cowl required so much purling that I learned how to use the Portuguese knitting technique for purl stitch.
I don't like putting the yarn around my neck so the next accessory to accomplish the technique is using a pin attached to your shirt, up near your shoulder. I didn't want to invest in one of these for just a small project so when I couldn't sleep last night I began to think about magnets and clips and VOILA!
I remembered seeing a knitting hack somewhere for holding yarn in a bowl and thought I could just adapt that clip to holding it to my shoulder! It worked!
I wish I had thought of this before I finished my second Treppenviertel!
Now I need to get back to my cowl and finish it!
Have a great week and be careful in that snow!

No comments: