Your greatness is not what you have, it's what you give.

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

For your protection

I have a bag of sock yarn leftovers and thought I would try my hand at knitting some masks since I gave all my fabric to Barbara B. so she could sew masks to send to those who need them.
The original mask pattern is labeled as not being safe for filtering the COVID 19 virus.
I decided to redesign it by adding a second layer. I knitted a second mask and sewed it to the inside of the first one at the top and bottom edges. The sides were left open so I could slip coffee filters between the layers.
I also made a button band to connect the straps behind the head so they don’t irritate the ears.
I even did a sniff test by holding an open bottle of vinegar under our noses.
Even with my sharp sense of smell, I could barely detect the odor. These masks are to protect others in the rare case that we have to go out. So far, we’ve been lucky enough to have our groceries delivered. But we do get out for vigorous walks when the weather cooperates so we will wear the masks in case we encounter any neighbors. Please continue to stay home so we can defeat this invisible enemy. As knitters and crafters of all kinds, we should be overjoyed to know we have time on our hands to create to our hearts’ content! Stay well, stay busy, and keep those needles clicking!

No comments: