Your greatness is not what you have, it's what you give.

Friday, April 10, 2020

Current projects

I started a cowl for myself with spring like colors to remind me that better days are coming. The yarn is from Cece’s Wool and More in Guilderland, NY, my second home away from home (although I haven’t been able to visit since the pandemic hit). The yarn on the left was a special dye from LolaBean to celebrate Cece’s first anniversary which was the day before all businesses deemed non-essential were closed. The color is “Happy Birthday to Ewe” in a fingering weight. The yarn on the right in that lovely chartreuse is also available at Cece’s Wool and More. It’s Sandnes Garn Silk Mohair and oh so very soft. I love the way it softens the colors of the fingering weight yarn. These together will become the Wheatland Bandana Cowl, a very easy pattern which starts out flat and then is joined to knit in the round. I almost forgot to change my needle size when I switched from flat knitting to circular.
 When knitting flat stockinette stitch, knit stitches are always tighter than purl stitches. It’s just the nature of the beast. So when you join to knit in the round you are now knitting every row for stockinette which creates a smaller stitch and sometimes leaves a line of demarcation at the transition. In order to keep the stockinette stitch uniform in size, you should go up one in your needle size. I switched from a size 6 to 7 for a uniform stitch size.

Then I was inspired to warp my loom after a few weeks away from weaving. I purchased this beautiful colored yarn on a weekend trip to Staten Island for a family gathering. It’s from Schachenmayr Fashion Tahiti. The cotton/poly blend is a light fingering weight yarn and I love the way the colors are blending.
Being married to an extrovert is a lesson in patience so, I’m hanging in there as I isolate myself from both the outside world and sometimes inside too. We introverts were designed for this! And I am fully prepared with enough yarn for a long time although for the sanity of the rest of the world, I pray for the return of good health worldwide. Stay well, stay inside, and keep those needles clicking!

No comments: