Your greatness is not what you have, it's what you give.

Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Packing up and starting a KAL

The Chicks and I wrapped up our current project today.
Knit the Rainbow is an organization based in New York City which supports homeless LGBTQ youth.
We knitted a total of 56 items to send downstate.
There were 28 hats, 9 scarves, 5 cowls, 12 pairs of socks and 1 pair of mittens, and a vest. We managed to fit everything in 2 large boxes. There is a drop off location in Albany where we will bring them.
Dorah proudly showed us her scarf which uses a pack of mini skeins. 
This is one she will keep for herself.
And Nancy wore her Papillon. It's the second one she's made. She gifted the first one to me!💗 Lucky me! Nancy likes knitting short rows and this pattern certainly has many opportunities for short rows.
Now she's making a cloud soft cowl for herself.
She was drawn in by the sample she saw at Cece's Wool  in Guilderland and just had to have that gorgeous mohair yarn.
Some of us decided to do a KAL (knit-a-long) of the Zuzu's Petals Cowl by Carina Spencer. This is one of four that I made way back in 2012. I used a DK weight yarn and size 6 needle.
So Barbara K, Dorah, Carole, Nancy, and I cast on stitches to begin today.
Barbara B was going to make one also but after seeing us struggle with the revised pattern, she is having doubts.
The designer updated her information to include weights of yarn other than the original DK weight and reformatted the pattern from the way she wrote it years ago. Unfortunately, we think she should have left well enough alone. Mine started out like this and ended...
like this! Not too much progress for almost two hours of work! I think I'm going to have to see if I saved a paper copy of the original pattern and will follow that since I don't like her updated version. I thought I still had it in my Ravelry library but apparently when it updated, the original disappeared.😞
Nancy chose a fingering weight yarn and size 6 needle and hers is beautiful! BTW, that yarn she is using is the skein I dyed using Wilton Icing Dyes. I love how it's knitting up!
Barbara K is using the yarn she bought on our trip to the New England Fiber Festival in November. Looking good!
Dorah bought her yarn at the same festival and like me, she has started it a few times and is giving it a time out.
Carole's is knitting up nicely. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I see changes in my future as far as needles and gauge are concerned.
After all the complaining Dorah and I were whining about, Barbara B decided she would work on a pair of baby mitts. LOL!
 Well, I need to go look for the original paper copy of that cowl. Wish me luck! In the meantime, keep those needles clicking!

No comments: