Your greatness is not what you have, it's what you give.

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

We made our delivery

Janna, Carole, and I delivered our goodies to Unity House in Troy, NY this morning and were received with such warmth and gratefulness that we floated through the rest of our day. We took a guided tour of the modern facility with wonderful amenities available to those of our community who are in need of their services. When I returned home I saw a Facebook post on their blog with a lovely article about our visit. I often say that we don't do what we do for a pat on the back but Boy! It sure makes us feel good when our hard work and skills are recognized. 

Now we get back to our knitting needles and crochet hooks so we can prepare for our next recipients, Community Maternity Services of Albany. We already have a few finished items for our inventory. I whipped out a few things this week because the teeny tiny items knit up so quickly. These Saartje Booties were knitted simultaneously on magic loop so they would be the same size. I remember that before I learned magic loop, I knitted a pair of baby socks, one at a time and the sizes were vastly different. So I knitted a third sock figuring it would match one of the others. Well, not so much! How can I knit the same pattern with the same yarn and the same size needle and get 3 different sizes? I guess I was stressed out more with one of those socks.
 To make a little matched set I also knitted this little princess of a bonnet which is said to be a replica of Princess Charlotte's hat that she wore home from the hospital.
 And my all time favorite hoodie to knit is the Throwback Pixie Hood. In this small size it takes only a few days to knit.
 Margaret worked hard this week and added two little hats to our inventory. First was this cute little cap with a generic blue yarn. Something for the little boys.
 And she learned how to do a yarnover for the first time when knitting the eyelets through which she threaded the ties for the little slouchy hat.
 Barbara K. is on vacation but that didn't stop her from knitting a lovely machine washable and dryable baby blanket.
 Janna made progress on her little whale pullover. She is finishing up the bottom ribbing and will move on to the sleeves this week.
 And Cinzia turned running out of yarn into a design element. There wasn't enough green yarn so she used the white to finish the body and will edge the neckline with the same white yarn to hold the design together.
 Margaret started an earflap hat and together we discovered an error in the pattern. The instructions said to do a 3 needle bind off to attach the earflaps but that would prevent the knitting continuing up the hat. You would be left with a hole over each ear!
 Carole's baby pullover has been joined at the end of the button band and soon she will put the sleeve stitches on a holder to continue knitting the body.
The contrast of the graphic colors in Barbara B's crocheted blanket is striking! This is going to be a treasured blankie to some lucky munchkin!
I'm going to search through my patterns for some more inspiration to see what I can whip up for our next week's blog post. Have a great week and keep those needles clicking!

No comments: